CHL Systems is a custom equipment supplier that provides project management, engineering, design, manufacturing and installation services for a wide array of industries.
An exciting position is currently available in our Engineering Department for a Controls Engineer with proven experience in the design/build of automated equipment. Preference will be given to individuals with experience in our core industries – Food Processing and Industrial Automation. This position will work as an integral part of our custom equipment engineering team. The individual must have a diverse background that includes an in-depth knowledge of equipment design, control systems/methodologies and other applicable technologies in order to lead the design, implementation and testing of custom electro-mechanical equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in machine control system development environment.
- Self-starter who is well-organized, detail-oriented, creative and possesses excellent problem solving skills.
- Electrical design software experience: AutoCAD Electrical preferred, or similar.
- Computer programming experience: PLC/HMI or other supervisory control system programming a plus.
- Proficiency with written and oral communication and giving presentations. Need to effectively present technical documents with an ability to explain technical concepts with depth that is tailored to the expected audience.
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with vendors and customers across a wide spectrum of industry.
- Strong time management skills. Must be able to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to lead a design team on a larger project.
- Ability to develop concepts and solutions meeting all customer requirements and to estimate the cost of implementation of those solutions.
- Ability to travel to customer sites (<15% of time).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with senior controls personnel and project managers on projects from concept to completion.
- Work closely with sales, project managers and project engineers to understand system requirements, estimate costs, and aid in proposal development.
- Creates electrical wiring diagrams, panel layouts, cabling, and field wiring schematics using AutoCAD Electrical design software for various automation systems including conveyors, batching tanks, and custom machinery.
- Reviews project drawings, sketches, and design data with engineering and/or project management staff to determine job requirements and follow them through to completion with minimal guidance or supervision.
- Test applications and control methods using simulation and field testing.
- Work with and supervise electrical panel assembly and fabrication technicians.
- Travel to job-sites for system installations and electrical/software troubleshooting.
- Ensure the control system design meets industry safety standards.
- Learn new programming languages and techniques as required.
- Surface and resolve technical issues during all phases of the project.
- Be a good communicator, focus on customers, drive for results and think analytically.
- Demonstrate integrity. Adhere to the company’s code of conduct and business ethics standards.
- Reports directly to Principal Engineer – Automation & Controls with dotted line responsibilities to project manager and technical lead.
CHL Systems offers a competitive salary and full benefits package!